All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Simple Projects (Grades K-5) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   crazy straws (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3242)

courtneym_96 11-13-2008 03:24 PM

crazy straws

I am helping my daughter with a science project and need help ! We did a comparison between using one large straw....using two regular sized straws at one time....and using four coffee stirrer straws at one time. Obviously the largest straw gets to the bottom of the glass quickest, but I want to explain that it is more than just the volume of the straw. Her test subjects were me(an adult) compared to a child(my son) to see who could drink it fastest. Obviously I drank it quickest, but is it because I have a bigger lung capacity ? I feel like a dummie .......I just need to put more than one lil explanation down....and its due in 8 days. Thank you sincerely !

courtneym_96 11-13-2008 04:50 PM

Thank you SOOOO much for responding so quickly !
Yes, the glasses are the same size - equivalent to a measuring cup
The substance is the same- it being water
The straws are all of different lengths and width- in the first test, one adult and one child used one gigantic straw each to see who could drink the water the fastest and how much the straw was able to take in. The second test was drinking out of two regular sized straws at the same time, and the gigantic straw still won. The third test was to see if drinking out of four coffee stirrer straws at the same time would be quicker than two regular straws and it wasn't. With the test subjects being one adult and one child....I won the first test. We had the same amount of water each on the second test. And the third test, I had 3/4 water left with the coffee stirrers and my son wasn't able to really get anything at all.
Btw, I love you for taking time out to help lol ! Ty !
-Court

smartness 01-29-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtneym_96 (Post 13757)
I am helping my daughter with a science project and need help ! We did a comparison between using one large straw....using two regular sized straws at one time....and using four coffee stirrer straws at one time. Obviously the largest straw gets to the bottom of the glass quickest, but I want to explain that it is more than just the volume of the straw. Her test subjects were me(an adult) compared to a child(my son) to see who could drink it fastest. Obviously I drank it quickest, but is it because I have a bigger lung capacity ? I feel like a dummie .......I just need to put more than one lil explanation down....and its due in 8 days. Thank you sincerely !

(smartness) RETARD you what till the last minute to ask for help you should have asked a little bit earlier for help!!!(smartness)