All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Science (Grades 9-12) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Water in Orange Juice Science Fair Project (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174)

challengerplaya 01-15-2006 01:30 PM

Thanks

Thanks but i also have another science project idea. "How much water is in an orange?. I have a question. Is this a high school level project? PLEASE REPLY. Dont have that much time left until my science fair.

dreamerofeternity 01-15-2006 04:42 PM

Water in Oranges

Well, even tho this is on the easy side, it doesn't matter what scale the project is. It depends on whether you want a challenge or not.

As for the amount of water in an orange, I would suggest that you blend your oranges to mush, drain out the mush and end up with the juice (use coffee filter), then distill the juice to see how much water is left. Or you can leave out the last part, but I think the last part isn't impossible. (Plus, your experiment is more sophisticated with distillation, and you're bascially getting the WATER, not the amount of juice.) Ask your teachers to see if they have distillation equipement. distillation is basically boiling up the water's boiling point, so the water evaporates and condenses into another container, but everything else is left behind. (However, check with your teacher. I don't know if you can distill so that only solids are left. Maybe you can add a liquid with a higher boiling point than water so that there will be SOME liquid left in the beaker when all the water is gone.)

As variables, try different types of oranges. Since oranges differ in size, make sure, (if you're going to see which type of orange will have the most water) that you weigh the orange before you put them in the blender so you will have around the same amount of orange for each type. But be careful to cut them in the same way so you're not creating another variable. Any more questions (if I'm not clear enough, or problems that come up, post or send me a private message.)

Good luck!:D

All Knowing 03-31-2006 05:23 AM

?

water or juice do you need to find. If you do this i recomend that you get multiple oranges at about the same size and average them out.

pamela_5 10-07-2006 06:16 AM

:embarassed: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamerofeternity
Well, even tho this is on the easy side, it doesn't matter what scale the project is. It depends on whether you want a challenge or not.

As for the amount of water in an orange, I would suggest that you blend your oranges to mush, drain out the mush and end up with the juice (use coffee filter), then distill the juice to see how much water is left. Or you can leave out the last part, but I think the last part isn't impossible. (Plus, your experiment is more sophisticated with distillation, and you're bascially getting the WATER, not the amount of juice.) Ask your teachers to see if they have distillation equipement. distillation is basically boiling up the water's boiling point, so the water evaporates and condenses into another container, but everything else is left behind. (However, check with your teacher. I don't know if you can distill so that only solids are left. Maybe you can add a liquid with a higher boiling point than water so that there will be SOME liquid left in the beaker when all the water is gone.)

As variables, try different types of oranges. Since oranges differ in size, make sure, (if you're going to see which type of orange will have the most water) that you weigh the orange before you put them in the blender so you will have around the same amount of orange for each type. But be careful to cut them in the same way so you're not creating another variable. Any more questions (if I'm not clear enough, or problems that come up, post or send me a private message.)

Good luck!:D

RaZoR 10-12-2006 01:21 PM

This sounds quite hard. Maybe you should just try something else. It's too complicated and there are too many variables, such as the kind of orange, how ripe the orange is... Etc. There is absolutely no controlling how much water is in an orange. So I say, get some adult help on this one!

~RaZoR :D

RABREEZE 10-15-2006 07:51 PM

Same Thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by challengerplaya
Thanks but i also have another science project idea. "How much water is in an orange?. I have a question. Is this a high school level project? PLEASE REPLY. Dont have that much time left until my science fair.

truth is i'm also doing that project ... and ive been to sites but i didn't want the answer it's giving me the answers and the materials i need. the name of my project is "Which has more water? Orange or a Tangerine" and i can't seem to find anything for it the my teacher told me it was grade level and good for the project science fair .... hit meh baq up :wink: and i dont have that much time either so i have to think quick

Raven_Lore 10-16-2006 01:04 PM

Help?

Which has more water Orange or Tangerine. To me this seems like it's not really a science porject. It's more of a reserach paper. It requires not much application and has no varialbes. You can easily typr in on google to see instead of having to do a science project. I think you should stick to another one.....I'm might me incorrect in my statement by you can justify it in your own view...

RaZoR 10-16-2006 01:10 PM

Yes, I agree. I'm kind of sick of people signing up for this site for one post, posting a thread that they could ask google or their parents, then packing up and leaving for good.

I saw one of your other threads about this subject and I totally agree because Senior Mentors are allowing people with 0-5 posts to become a trainee! It's weird...

~RaZoR~

Raven_Lore 10-16-2006 06:41 PM

Hehe?

looks like we agree on lots of things :)

RaZoR 10-18-2006 11:44 AM

Haha

Maybe because we both have common sense? Lol. :p