All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Biology (Grades 9-12) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How can we experiment how teeth are affected by fluorides and acids? (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955)

SoCo291 12-30-2005 10:42 AM

How can we experiment how teeth are affected by fluorides and acids?

Hello, how can we experiment the effects of fluoride and acid on teeth. I was thinking of using 4 different people. Have each of them brush their teeth with toothpaste, orange juice and soda. Then, I'd take photos of each person to determine whether which had the most effect. I don't know, so I need some suggestions on how to experiment this.

I guess my suggestion doesn't suit the problem. "Which cleans teeth best" is more of a problem that suits my suggestion. But, anyway, i need to know other suggestions.

rachaelroxursox2 12-30-2005 03:57 PM

its a good idea but there are too many variables that would alter the results like
what the person ate
how there teeth are normally
braces
and other things that would get in the way of getting good results

boring_sister 12-31-2005 06:34 PM

how about using shell instead of teeth.

monster1016 12-31-2005 08:44 PM

I don't think you should have a human test subject for this one I think you should buy fake teeth to substitute.:D :) :) :)

T_BOC 12-31-2005 11:30 PM

yeah

Maybe you should use dentures

rachaelroxursox2 01-01-2006 02:04 PM

dentures are super expensive

BroadwayBaby 01-01-2006 02:15 PM

Maybe you could use toenails from at least five subjects. Be sure that the subjects are consistent, i.e. same age, gender, nationality, etc. Have them each cut their tonails using the same pair of clippers, in the same room. Then, keep one of each person's tonails and place them in clear, plastic, lidded containers to use as the control. Be sure to label each one! Then, take the same amount/type of liquid floride and place it into 5 clear, plastic, lidded containers. Then, place the toenails in the separate containers and label. Repeat the process with the soda and orange juice and let sit for three hours. Be sure they are in a controlled enviroment, i.e. same room, same light, same temp, etc. Once the three hours is up, compare the specimens and make a list of similar changes. Then, repeat the experiment again. Finally, Create a theory using the available information. For example, "Floride whitens toenails, whereas soda and orange juice dulls and weakens toenails!"

minnie30567746 01-01-2006 04:14 PM

Hmm

This might be a little gross, but you could ask a local dentist to see if he has teeth from patients..

boring_sister 01-01-2006 11:58 PM

i saw one in a colgate commercial, they used a shell. one shell was soaked in the acid and one was brushed by colgate (you could substitute colgate by fluoride :) ) after that they tested each shells' strength by tapping something at the shell. the shell from the acid broke while the other didn't.

BroadwayBaby 01-02-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie30567746
This might be a little gross, but you could ask a local dentist to see if he has teeth from patients..

First of all, that would not be possible, because if they gave teeth away, it breech that confidentialality law, also, you are not guarrentied that the speecimens would be from controlled subjects. I'd go with something a little more obtainable!:)

SoCo291 01-04-2006 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Well, I wouldn't go to that extent to do this project. I decided to use shells afterall. :)

BroadwayBaby 01-04-2006 05:15 PM

Could you please tell us how you did? I'd love to see whattcha got on your project!:)