All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Most Popular Discussions (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Egg drop project (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36)

BroadwayBaby 10-24-2005 04:04 PM

Maybe

Maybe the egg S-H-E-L-L becomes brittle morein age like the human skin become WrInKlY

wisteria 10-25-2005 05:13 AM

yeah but still wouldn't it still break from that hight?

BroadwayBaby 11-04-2005 01:31 PM

Relevent

This guy, plz keep your post relevent. No one likes forum spam! :(

Mad Scientist 11-04-2005 06:43 PM

Please don't spam

Yes, as BroadwayBaby says, please don't spam our forum with irrelevant messages. We are trying our best to keep this forum entirely focused on helping students learn more about science. All spam messages will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation :P

BroadwayBaby 11-05-2005 11:35 AM

Tanx

Thanx Mad!!

auragirl 11-21-2005 01:32 AM

Artistic Egg Drop (on a university level)

Hello all, I've been doing some research for an assignment I'm working on, due a week from now, and I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice here...

I'm an art student, and in my 2D/3D design class, we've been asked to design a container to do a typical egg-drop style assignment. Here are the criteria:

- The egg must be raw, and will be provided by the professor (which means the container needs to be able to open, to insert the egg).
- the container will be dropped from a third floor balcony, onto hard concrete.
- The egg must survive the fall without cracking, but the container can break (if it breaks, it should break by design and ideally something "interesting" or "pretty" should result from the breakage).
- No wings, helium balloons or parachutes may be used.
- Any materials can be used and the container can be as elaborate or as simple as we wish.
- The container must be functional as well as aesthetic and it will recieve a grade for each aspect.

So far, my plans and research have led me to the idea of making a sort of egg-within-an-egg design...building outwards from a hardboiled egg, making a series of ever-larger papier-mache egg shapes, each larger than the last...and then filling the hollow area between each "shell" with some sort of impact-absorbant material. I was thinking of maybe pudding, or jello, or popped popcorn...one website said peanut butter was good for cushioning the egg, maybe using that for the innermost egg? I've heard that bubble wrap is actually very bad for this sort of assignment, but that the green foam used for arranging artificial flowers is very good. I'm currently planning to make the papier-mache without any wire frame, and cut all the eggs open at the middle, and use tape to close them before the big drop.

Any suggestions for how to go about this would be quite useful, the more detailed the better!

Thanks in advance.

Mad Scientist 11-22-2005 08:43 AM

Invincible Egg Science Project

Looks like our Invincible Egg Project gets more exciting by the day!

I would suggest experimenting with various types of cushioning material. Birdseed might be a surprisingly effective option. Try it and see!

- and yes, an egg-wthin-egg design will be ideal! Several layers of possible!

auragirl 11-23-2005 01:03 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm planning to try birdseed, and also popped popcorn and finally pudding if those don't work. I'm also considering cooked rice...though I'm not sure if it being cooked will matter or not?

How many layers of "egg" shell do you think would work best, at the height I'm dropping from? And how much space between layers of egg..? Obviously I'm going to experiement, but a rough idea of where to start would be useful.

Also, would adding a weight to one side, to make sure it drops in that direction, be at all useful? And if so, which side of the "egg" should be weighted?

Thanks again!

Tejas 11-26-2005 09:20 AM

Answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by auragirl
Hello all, I've been doing some research for an assignment I'm working on, due a week from now, and I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice here...

I'm an art student, and in my 2D/3D design class, we've been asked to design a container to do a typical egg-drop style assignment. Here are the criteria:

- The egg must be raw, and will be provided by the professor (which means the container needs to be able to open, to insert the egg).
- the container will be dropped from a third floor balcony, onto hard concrete.
- The egg must survive the fall without cracking, but the container can break (if it breaks, it should break by design and ideally something "interesting" or "pretty" should result from the breakage).
- No wings, helium balloons or parachutes may be used.
- Any materials can be used and the container can be as elaborate or as simple as we wish.
- The container must be functional as well as aesthetic and it will recieve a grade for each aspect.

So far, my plans and research have led me to the idea of making a sort of egg-within-an-egg design...building outwards from a hardboiled egg, making a series of ever-larger papier-mache egg shapes, each larger than the last...and then filling the hollow area between each "shell" with some sort of impact-absorbant material. I was thinking of maybe pudding, or jello, or popped popcorn...one website said peanut butter was good for cushioning the egg, maybe using that for the innermost egg? I've heard that bubble wrap is actually very bad for this sort of assignment, but that the green foam used for arranging artificial flowers is very good. I'm currently planning to make the papier-mache without any wire frame, and cut all the eggs open at the middle, and use tape to close them before the big drop.

Any suggestions for how to go about this would be quite useful, the more detailed the better!

Thanks in advance.

To Make this happen try some concentrated or thick or semifluid liquid in the jar

Mad Scientist 11-27-2005 12:00 AM

Layers of eggs

I'd go with at least 3 - the more the merrier. In fact, you should start with a higher number and reduce the number gradually.

Try with a symetrically design, then experiment by making the egg lopsided. Record the differences. :)