All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Projects (Grades K-5) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   effect of sunblock on hot dog (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314)

hcastro500 10-10-2005 11:15 AM

effect of sunblock on hot dog

My son and I are trying to recreate an experiment we read about. Basically, two hotdogs are placed under a sun lamp. One of the two is coated with sunblock. After an hour the uncoated hotdog shrivels and the coated one remains the same. We attempted to recreate this result by placing the hotdogs in direct sunlight on a hot sunny day from 9:30am until 12:30pm. We expected a similar result because the hotdogs were exposed to the entire spectrum of the sun's rays, especially UVA and UVB rays. However, the difference between the the two was negligible. We used spf 30 sunblock. Why is there not a more noticable difference? The sun lamp does not emit any UVB rays and very little UVA rays. What could have caused the hotdog in that experiment to shrivel? Should we be using another type of meat product? Please help.

Thanks

Sciencegeek3000 10-10-2005 01:57 PM

Hi

are u guys going to eat them :confused:

sgeek3.0 :cool:

yvette carreon 02-12-2006 05:07 PM

affect of sunscreen on hotdogs

hi im yvette,
my son and i also read that article and are trying to recreate the same project and came up with the same problem as you.
it looks like you did this a while ago did you figure it out and can you help us at all?
thanks

saxescience 10-09-2006 04:06 PM

sunscreen on a hotdog

We wanted to try this experiment but it does not seem to work, we used a heat lamp and and infra red lamp. Any suggestions?

kimyko_xo 10-12-2006 02:21 PM

that sounds like a good idea:star:
im only 10 and i need a science project!:(
can i use yours?:o

RaZoR 10-12-2006 02:25 PM

This is a good project. First time I have ever heard of this. I think I will try this. But, I suggest you guys do this more, but with different sunblock, and not out in the outside, because then there will be too many variables to control. Go to Petsmart or something and but a basking light for a lizard. Then try the experiment and see what you come up with!
Thanks!

~RaZoR :D

kimyko_xo 10-12-2006 02:29 PM

im not going to do the same thing im going to get two different sunscreen and put one on one hotdog and the other on the other hotdog.

how about that?:o

RaZoR 10-12-2006 02:31 PM

If it's going to be a science project, I think you are going to need a control group. So get another hot dog and give it no sunscreen at all. Well, that is unless you are trying to find out which sunscreen is better than the other...

Please tell me what you are talking about and I will surely answer.

kimyko_xo 10-12-2006 02:36 PM

okay...

well get the same hotdogs and get two different sunscreens. and i take one of the sunscreens an dput it one one of the hot dogs and take the other hot dog and put the different sunscreen on it. then put the hotdogs out in the sun for an hour!:wink:

RaZoR 10-12-2006 02:40 PM

I would suggest more than one hour, and I said it's a bad idea to put it outside. This is because the wind can blow and change the experiment Etc. You should also have a control group I said...