All Science Fair Projects

All Science Fair Projects (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/index.php)
-   Physics (Grades 9-12) (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ice Friction (http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1853)

tdh360 04-19-2006 08:46 AM

Ice Friction

I need some help with ideas for my Science Project.

My question and hypothesis are something to the effect of this:

Question: Why is friction on ice so low?

Hypothesis: A thin film of liquid water sits on the surface of the ice not allowing the ice and the other surface to rub directly together.

Now I'm trying to think of different ideas for things I could do for my project and I think I have a few but I thought I might get some more good ideas here.

dreamerofeternity 04-20-2006 10:13 AM

I think that water layer is too hard to test... My hypothesis would be that ice is like a crystal when it freezes, and I guess it's in somewhat of a cubical shape, which creates a small surface. I don't think it's the water, cause at skating rinks, they often remove the top layer of ice periodically. But I don't understand how you can test that... Perhaps you can ask what is the effect of having a layer of water... You can have a single ramp, and slide an object off a ramp unto the ice and measure how far it goes to measure the amount of friction. Then use the same ramp with ice covered with water. Just ideas...

Good luck!

Mad Scientist 04-21-2006 03:26 PM

This is an interesting science project

I'm sticking this thread for the others to see :wink:

dreamerofeternity 04-21-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I'm sticking this thread for the others to see :wink:

What does sticking a thread mean?

sciencefreak 04-21-2006 08:39 PM

A sticky thread is one which always stays as the first thread in it's section

theBman 04-25-2006 04:16 PM

ice has such low resistance because it melts under pressure such as a skate. thats why a skates blade is so skinny, in order to have the most weight on the least amount of space. water molucules are weird because with almost every substance in the world, if the molucules are far apart, its a gas, medium is liquid, and close is solid. but water is the 1 exception. far is a gas, medium is a solid(ice) and close is a liquid. thats why when u put pressure on ice, it forces the molucules close toghether, therefor it becomes a liquid. cool huh?

tdh360 05-04-2006 06:22 AM

Thank's for the help and thanks for sticking this thread. :)

dreamerofeternity- Thank you! You helped me out a lot! I was definitely stuck before but you gave me some great ideas! Thanks! :thumbs_up:

tdh360 05-08-2006 06:14 PM

So now my question and hypothesis are something to effect of these...

Question:
How does a thin layer of water on an ice surface effect the speed of an object traveling across the ice?

Hypothesis
My hypothesis states that a thin film of water on the ice will increase the speed of an object traveling across the ice.

tdh360 05-09-2006 07:31 AM

Help!

Ok, I need some help! ASAP!

When I did my experiment my hypothesis was proven wrong.

I made a ramp and slid different objects down the ramp onto the ice. I meausred how far the object traveled. I then poured a measured amount of water on the ice and re-did the procedure.

All but one of the objects traveled further before there was water on the ice.

I'm having a hard time finding information for my research paper. If anyone has ANY input please help me out and reply asap! Thanks!

theBman 05-09-2006 11:49 AM

maybe the water froze?