PDA

View Full Version : Egg drop project

Mad Scientist
08-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi!

Im in fifth grade and I'm doing the egg drop project. What hieght should I use?

Hector

Archenemy550
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
You should do multiple heights....

I would go with:

6in.
1ft
3ft
5-6ft
8ft
10ft
you can alter those to however you want, but when i was in elementary those are the heights we used.

Are you placing the eggs in a box with padding, or just dropping them? Otherwise the egg will proably break on 6in.

wisteria
09-16-2005, 05:08 AM
I agree with Archenemy550 but it also depends on the ground surface too. :)

sciencefreak
09-17-2005, 06:51 AM
i came across an amazing fact. you might wanna include it.
In 1994, an egg was dropped from a helicopter onto a golf course in Blackpool from a height of 213 metres (699 ft.). Incredibly, it did not break!!!
sciencefreak

ScienceIsCool
09-17-2005, 10:02 AM
What!!! 700 feet! That's truly amazing. Where did you get the fact though? (i.e. is the source reliable?)

sciencefreak
09-17-2005, 08:20 PM
yeah...i got it from a reliable encyclopedia called 1001 amazing facts

Mad Scientist
09-18-2005, 09:08 AM
That is simply amazing! Did they mention what was used to catch the egg? or was it simply dropped onto the ground? Surely they must have used something to catch the egg!

wisteria
09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
true... but Is amazing that the egg did not break...

lexmartin97
09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
:confused: i like that alot a egg is a good idea

sciencefreak
09-21-2005, 05:44 AM
sorry i wasn't available for quite some time.
well yeah....they dropped in on the golf course, the ground...
amazing but true

Mad Scientist
10-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Was it fluke? Were they able to repeat the experiment?

sciencefreak
10-05-2005, 06:52 AM
No Guys...... It Didn't Break...thats Why The Whole Fact.........

wisteria
10-08-2005, 05:32 AM
could the ground be soft or hard compacted? or is the egg a fake that looks real?

Sodalvr123
10-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok Im doing an egg drop project at my school what type of container should i use? P.S we are droping it from the top of the raymond james stadium :confused

wisteria
10-09-2005, 10:43 PM
well sodalvr123 how high is the stadium? and you may want to put somthing soft... or boil the egg :D :p .

hey I got an idea could the egg be well boiled when it droped on the golf course? :confused:

ram
10-14-2005, 04:20 AM
what's the "purpose" of this egg-drop experiment? Do you think the age of the egg affects the durability of eggs****?

wisteria
10-14-2005, 05:28 AM
I agree with you ram... ;)

sciencefreak
10-20-2005, 01:44 AM
ok, let me change the fact a bit,

a RAW egg was dropped from a helicopter unto a golf course.

ScienceIsCool
10-20-2005, 12:15 PM
what's the "purpose" of this egg-drop experiment? Do you think the age of the egg affects the durability of eggs****?

Not sure about the purpose but regarding the effect of age, I think the answer would be yes. I've seen old eggs in my fridge crack. So I would assume that as they age, their s****s become somewhat more brittle either naturally or else because of corrosive chemicals in an aged egg. Alternatively, it could be due to the build up of pressure due to gases in an aged egg.

Hmm, that would be something interesting to investigate in a science project.

wisteria
10-22-2005, 10:58 PM
well it seems like it is just a rummer " I believe it, when I see it"

BroadwayBaby
10-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Maybe the egg S-H-E-L-L becomes brittle morein age like the human skin become WrInKlY

wisteria
10-25-2005, 04:13 AM
yeah but still wouldn't it still break from that hight?

BroadwayBaby
11-04-2005, 12:31 PM
This guy, plz keep your post relevent. No one likes forum spam! :(

Mad Scientist
11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, as BroadwayBaby says, please don't spam our forum with irrelevant messages. We are trying our best to keep this forum entirely focused on helping students learn more about science. All spam messages will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation :P

BroadwayBaby
11-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanx Mad!!

auragirl
11-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Hello all, I've been doing some research for an assignment I'm working on, due a week from now, and I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice here...

I'm an art student, and in my 2D/3D design class, we've been asked to design a container to do a typical egg-drop style assignment. Here are the criteria:

- The egg must be raw, and will be provided by the professor (which means the container needs to be able to open, to insert the egg).
- the container will be dropped from a third floor balcony, onto hard concrete.
- The egg must survive the fall without cracking, but the container can break (if it breaks, it should break by design and ideally something "interesting" or "pretty" should result from the breakage).
- No wings, helium balloons or parachutes may be used.
- Any materials can be used and the container can be as elaborate or as simple as we wish.
- The container must be functional as well as aesthetic and it will recieve a grade for each aspect.

So far, my plans and research have led me to the idea of making a sort of egg-within-an-egg design...building outwards from a hardboiled egg, making a series of ever-larger papier-mache egg shapes, each larger than the last...and then filling the hollow area between each "shell" with some sort of impact-absorbant material. I was thinking of maybe pudding, or jello, or popped popcorn...one website said peanut butter was good for cushioning the egg, maybe using that for the innermost egg? I've heard that bubble wrap is actually very bad for this sort of assignment, but that the green foam used for arranging artificial flowers is very good. I'm currently planning to make the papier-mache without any wire frame, and cut all the eggs open at the middle, and use tape to close them before the big drop.

Any suggestions for how to go about this would be quite useful, the more detailed the better!

Thanks in advance.

Mad Scientist
11-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Looks like our Invincible Egg Project gets more exciting by the day!

I would suggest experimenting with various types of cushioning material. Birdseed might be a surprisingly effective option. Try it and see!

- and yes, an egg-wthin-egg design will be ideal! Several layers of possible!

auragirl
11-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks very much for the advice. I'm planning to try birdseed, and also popped popcorn and finally pudding if those don't work. I'm also considering cooked rice...though I'm not sure if it being cooked will matter or not?

How many layers of "egg" shell do you think would work best, at the height I'm dropping from? And how much space between layers of egg..? Obviously I'm going to experiement, but a rough idea of where to start would be useful.

Also, would adding a weight to one side, to make sure it drops in that direction, be at all useful? And if so, which side of the "egg" should be weighted?

Thanks again!

Tejas
11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Hello all, I've been doing some research for an assignment I'm working on, due a week from now, and I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice here...

I'm an art student, and in my 2D/3D design class, we've been asked to design a container to do a typical egg-drop style assignment. Here are the criteria:

- The egg must be raw, and will be provided by the professor (which means the container needs to be able to open, to insert the egg).
- the container will be dropped from a third floor balcony, onto hard concrete.
- The egg must survive the fall without cracking, but the container can break (if it breaks, it should break by design and ideally something "interesting" or "pretty" should result from the breakage).
- No wings, helium balloons or parachutes may be used.
- Any materials can be used and the container can be as elaborate or as simple as we wish.
- The container must be functional as well as aesthetic and it will recieve a grade for each aspect.

So far, my plans and research have led me to the idea of making a sort of egg-within-an-egg design...building outwards from a hardboiled egg, making a series of ever-larger papier-mache egg shapes, each larger than the last...and then filling the hollow area between each "shell" with some sort of impact-absorbant material. I was thinking of maybe pudding, or jello, or popped popcorn...one website said peanut butter was good for cushioning the egg, maybe using that for the innermost egg? I've heard that bubble wrap is actually very bad for this sort of assignment, but that the green foam used for arranging artificial flowers is very good. I'm currently planning to make the papier-mache without any wire frame, and cut all the eggs open at the middle, and use tape to close them before the big drop.

Any suggestions for how to go about this would be quite useful, the more detailed the better!

Thanks in advance.

To Make this happen try some concentrated or thick or semifluid liquid in the jar

Mad Scientist
11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd go with at least 3 - the more the merrier. In fact, you should start with a higher number and reduce the number gradually.

Try with a symetrically design, then experiment by making the egg lopsided. Record the differences. :)

PETER6297
11-29-2005, 04:23 PM
i've come to this discussion late, however, a snippet of "useless information" that is lodged at the back of what passes for a brain in my case, gives me the notion that if you are trying for an unbroken drop record, you could try soaking the egg in vinegar for a while prior to the drop , apparently this softens the shell to such an extent that a whole normal sized egg can be inserted unbroken into a milk bottle I would assume that an egg would possibly be soft enough to bounce at the end of a quite considerable drop ;)

Mad Scientist
11-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Very interesting, Peter. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

wisteria
11-30-2005, 01:39 AM
then could the egg drop be a fluke? with the egg drop of a few meters above golf cours ground?

sunil59
12-07-2005, 10:04 PM
There is no mention of the contents in the egg ;) . In this case suppose you use a pin prick and remove the contents of the egg then wonder what will happen :rolleyes: . Maybe you succeed to drop this egg from the Eiffel tower but I think it will not break. :D . If this does not work then prick a hole on the other side of the empty egg and the air will go through making it float in the container while it drops. :)

the_science_dude
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
hi

i'm in 6th gade and i need help no what i should look up as resourses for this project.

thanks

All Knowing
03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
[/QUOTE] I got a great idea that worked really well. I took a soccer ball filled it with cotton. Not coton balls but cotton strips like a towel. It is really soft u can find it in the arts and crafts. Well i took the soccerball cut a x in it and stuffed it halfway with cotton. Placed the egg in and filled it all the way up. Then i made a parachute out of plastic throwdown. I cut 4 holes in eac sie of the soccer ball, strung it through and tied a knot. Then i took the other end and tied it to each end of the parachute. :D This is a great experiment using newtons 3 laws of motion. You need soft material packed tight. I got a 110 on my test grade because it was good idea, try it.:lightbulb: :secret:

guitarbabe54
05-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Oh my gosh I just got a manicure and I accendently wiped my nail!:eek:

guitarbabe54
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Oh I got my nail fixed:)
I also got this awesome new shirt and two pairs of jeans from abercrombie
all together it was over seventy five dollars:star:

sciencefreak
05-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Why don't you just stick to science related posts?

D Boy
06-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi!

Hector
off a two story building bottom up

jazzdancer
10-30-2006, 06:07 AM
i am in the 8th grade :) and i am doing somthing simular exept 4 mine th rules are the egg cannot be boild it has to be just a regular egg it will be dropped from at least 12 meters high on to conrete u MaY NOT use foam or commercial packing material or like objects and no parachutes i can only use no more than 1 meter of tape and one meter of string (each) total it must fit inside a box 12.5 cm on each side the materials must be scrap and after each drop the egg has to be able to be inspected after each drop and you cannot take very long to get it out :eek:

I dont know what to do can someone please help me come up
with a few :lightbulb: ideas :confused2::confused:

jazzdancer
10-30-2006, 06:23 AM
i am in the 8th grade :) and i am doing somthing simular exept 4 mine th rules are the egg cannot be boild it has to be just a regular egg it will be dropped from at least 12 meters high on to conrete u MaY NOT use foam or commercial packing material or like objects and no parachutes i can only use no more than 1 meter of tape and one meter of string (each) total it must fit inside a box 12.5 cm on each side the materials must be scrap and after each drop the egg has to be able to be inspected after each drop and you cannot take very long to get it out :eek:

with a few :lightbulb: ideas :confused2::confused:please help me someone!!!

blink44
11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
hey jaszzdancer! i just did the same project. for mine i popped a bag of popcorn.. and just placed my egg in the middle.

-pop a bag of popcorn
-pour out about half..
-then place your egg in the middle
-pour the rest in
-tie the bag with a rubberband

i was soo surprized when i saw opened my bag up and pulled out my raw egg..
no dents. no cracks.. a liitle bit of butter. but thats it =)

All Knowing
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow that is a great idea, but risky. If you were to drop it and accidently shake it a litle and it got off place because egg is heavy. You could have easily lost the egg! But good ide, smart!:) :mad: :D :( :p :o :confused: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

midgetdolphin
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM

with a few :lightbulb: ideas :confused2::confused:

well in 6th grade i did that i used cottonballs and it barely cracked but waterballoons work i think and cottonballs work too if you tighten them enough.i used a disposable cube thing and it worked fine
by the time you get this it will probly be too late tho

joshua kidd
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi!

Hector

I think you should use eight feet because it is a very irregular height