boredom
09-14-2005, 05:45 PM
You could try "Does Smoking Really Cause Lung Cancer"

MiniMadScientist
09-15-2005, 01:08 PM
:) tell what the effects of lung caner are

wisteria
09-17-2005, 05:07 AM
I agree with minimadscientist you could also research the kind of lung cancer and explain about it or build lungs one effected and the other is not to show the differents.

sciencefreak
09-17-2005, 07:13 AM
i found a site on lung cancer projects but i don't think it has an experiment. in any case, try it out
http://www.alumni.ca/~thog5n0/

wisteria
10-14-2005, 10:31 PM
smoking Fact: In a cigarette the nicotine thing is actually like tar ;)

satfire311
11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Okay, I am going to give you info on lung cancer. My grandfather has it. Smoking ciggerates DOES CAUSE EMPHASIMA AND LUNG CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Smoking a ciggerate is like smoking tar and without the flilter in them it would be 100 times worse. By breathing in cig smoke, you are getting the full affect(with causes second-hand smoking) of the smoke WHICH IS WORSE THAN ACTUALLY SMOKING THE CIGERATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tar gets into your lungs and blocks them, making it harder to breathe. Also, smoking causes cholestrol to get into the arteries surrounding the heart, which could cause a heartattack(This is what happened to my grandfather, but he survived.) Others are not that lucky. Many people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on ciggerates each year, and many more people die from them each year!

BroadwayBaby
11-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I want to reasure all readers that lung cancer, all though directly linked to smoking, can develop to nonsmokers as well. But, the # 1 group of people to get it are those who smoke! An interesting fact is that on average, smokers buy about 14, 000 in cigarettes each and every year!

wisteria
11-12-2005, 03:09 AM
passive smoking it is called when people that are non-smokers breath in the smoke it is quite dangerous.

Fact: some people that smoke do not have any problems... why they don't get effected?

satfire311
11-16-2005, 03:03 PM
To answer Wisteria's question, it's just because they are lucky. Also, they may have stronger bodies that hold up longer to smoke. Like I said before, my grandfather has it and he's been smoking since he was 13. He is 75 now and the effects only started around 3 years ago.

wisteria
11-17-2005, 01:42 AM
or it could be the genetic structure?... :confused:

Mad Scientist
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm moving this discussion to the Grade 9-12 Biology forum. Let me know if ther's a better place for it.

PS: Satfire - great input. Much appreciated! :)

minnie30567746
11-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Maybe you could look on a cigarette informational site and see what the ingredients of a cigarrete ar. If you do this, you can try and figure out what can stop up your lungs and what can make you addicted. Most of us know that there is some tar in cigarrettes, but is it the number one ingredient? The tar that is in cigarrettes can get into your lungs and either clog your lung and/or heart, or it can get into a cell and damagew the copy of DNA during interphase. This would start the cell growing at a rapid rate. That is the actual tumor of the lung cancer. Maybe you can try that. But keep in mind that non-smokers die from lung cancer too.

satfire311
11-25-2005, 06:59 AM
no probelm Mad, just trying to help.

sunil59
12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
passive smoking it is called when people that are non-smokers breath in the smoke it is quite dangerous.

Fact: some people that smoke do not have any problems... why they don't get effected?

I think a check on the stats should be done on passive smoking since lots of information on this is given. Its better to visit hospital which has such cases and find out how many people got cancer due to passive smoking :eek:

Matt

satfire311
12-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, but most lung cancer patients didn't smoke in their life. They were victims of second hand smoke.

boring_sister
12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
tell what are the new ways in curing lung cancer ang how they work

wisteria
01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
i don't know about curing but stopping smoking is working and in Australia we have ads on about smoking kills etc....

BroadwayBaby
01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, in my elementary school health class, they showed us actual lungs, one who smoked and one who didn't. It was disgusting! The lung that had smoke damage was covered in black residue!!

Also, something sad is going on in my town, students are thinking drugs are a joke, and making fun!! Isn't that terrible!:mad:

dreamerofeternity
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
You could try "Does Smoking Really Cause Lung Cancer"

um...I don't suggest this (no offence to anyone), because there is rather a great amount of evidence that smoking has an effect on lung cancer. It is quite impractical to refute this with an experiment, because it would not be controlled. Unless you want to do a survey, but surveying isn't proving.

Mad Scientist
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Thank you for your very well-thought comments Dreamerofeternity!

You're absolutely right! We can't prove the hypothesis. But can I ask, what if we tweak the hypothesis a little and say "Smoking increases your chance of contracting lung cancer"?

Of course, you have rightly pointed out that surveying isn't proving, and that there's already plenty of data/statistics on the topic! :)

SmartyC
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
I never really thought about the possible chance that if you smoke you can get lung cancer. I hasn't crossed my mind until know because there are no smokers in my home. Maybe Smoking increases the chances by a certain percentage, but to me anyone can attain lung cancer. :(

sciencefreak
01-13-2006, 11:08 PM
The nicotine which wisteria was talking about, burns and its by-products (sulphur gases, monoxides and tar) settle and choke our alveoli. Some companies use a kind of resin to stick the cigarette. this is really very harmful and produces particulate matter

satfire311
01-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Some things that can happen to us if we smoke...
1.Lung Cancer/second-hand smoke
2. Premature births and underweight babies
3. Mouth and gum disease
these are only the mmost common and biggest things that could happen to us if we smoke. Don't forget that there are many more things that could happen!

SmartyC
01-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Sat did you accidently post the same post twice?:)

sciencemaned
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
:Dhi this is my first comment and i agree with everyones opinion on this matter. i have a good expirenment my mom told me about. you see if you take 2 steaks and season one and on the other you pour coca cola on it. after about 24 hours you check the 2 steaks. the first should show no lung cancer and the other should have black sploches on it which is a sign for lung cancer. smoking does cause lung cancer and eats away the lungs causing blood clotts. and as a ninth grader i over achieve in science. knoe=wing the facts can go a long way and leads to great thing for the road ahead.= }